Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Bridge - Sonny Rollins (1962)



I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed at this 1962 album, the first album by Rollins after his voluntary three-year retirement, which is now the stuff of legend - supposedly, he wanted to almost relearn the saxophone and took three years off to do nothing but practice, during which he often played under the Williamsburg Bridge (the Manhattan side, of course). The main problem with this "comeback" album stems from the fact that Sonny is a great saxophonist, but not a great composer and arranger. In fact, I'd say his best work was as a side man, taking his amazing tone and his unmatched sense of subtle impact to songs that didn't sound quite so stifled and emotionless - I realize that sounds a bit harsh, and I hate calling any record emotionless, because obviously its not, but I was not feeling it. His mid 50s work with Monk is a prime example of when he did take his pure playing to a setting that suitably complimented it and showed the fully realized potential of Rollins's playing. On The Bridge, however, I don't feel the setting suitably compliments it.
  • rss
  • Del.icio.us
  • Digg
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Share this on Technorati
  • Post this to Myspace
  • Share this on Blinklist
  • Submit this to DesignFloat

0 comments:

Post a Comment